Sharlet (Brown) Teigen
Sr. Partner & Co-Founder
Sharlet is a Senior Partner and Co-Founder at Demeter Communications. As one of the original founders, she’s been with the company since 2006. Sharlet has led landmark initiatives targeting farmers, ranchers, food retailers and restaurateurs, doctors, consumer and trade media, educators and consumers.
- Communications strategy and planning
- Reputation management
- Message strategy
- Audience insight
- Product marketing and promotion
- Project management
- Influencer communications
- New and emerging media
- Organizational strategy
- Leadership development
- Media relations
- National Live Stock and Meat Board director of pork information and director of research/science information; led launch of pork’s “31% leaner” nutrient data, development of pork checkoff’s first physician outreach initiative and media rollout of “Eating in America”.
- S. R. Brown Marketing Communications president; clients included the Irish Food Board, American Egg Board, National FFA Foundation, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and its state beef councils, and various marketing firms. Her landmark work on youth food and nutrition programs for the national beef checkoff, Cool to B Real, won the coveted Best of Show-Public Relations at the National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA).
- Recruited by Osborn Barr Communications to form its public relations division; clients included the American Sheep Industry Association, United Soybean Board, American Ag Retailers Association, Merck Animal Health and Crop Sciences, Monsanto and U.S. Livestock Genetics Export.
- Dairy Council of South Dakota first communications specialist
- Gurney’s Seed and Nursery advertising and catalog copywriter
- GTA Feeds communications manager for dealer promotions, magazine writer and community outreach coordinator
- Executive Technique Training Certificate
- Midwest Dairy Academy for Retail Excellence Certificate
- Member of the National Agri-Marketing Association (NAMA), American Agricultural Editors Association, Livestock Publication Council and National Association of Farm Broadcasting
Background & Special Interests
- Committed to offering what she can to non-profit groups, Sharlet was honored with meritorious service awards from NAMA and the American Agricultural Editors Association. She served as president of the Chicago NAMA chapter and was the first chairman of NAMA’s Commodity Promotion Special Interest Group.
- Locally, she is on the board for a youth and amateur horse sports club which encourages development of competitive and sportsmanship talents.
- After growing up on the nation’s largest purebred Rambouillet sheep ranch in northwest South Dakota, she earned a bachelor’s degree in agricultural journalism from South Dakota State University.
- After several years of urban living, she married a Montana rancher she met at a volunteer fire department’s benefit dance. With his encouragement, she took up barrel racing and gets a kick out of the people who are fans of her little yellow horse with a big heart.
- Lives near Belle Fourche, SD, with her husband John and is the proud grandma of eight grandchildren.